Little Millet Lemon Rice
- ½ cup kodo millet / varagu/ arikelu
- 1 ½ cups water
- Salt as needed
- 1 ½ tbsp oil (use as needed)
- ½ tsp mustard
- 1 to 1 ½ tbsp bengal gram or chana dal
- 1 to 1 ½ tbsp skinned black gram or urad dal
- ¼ cup peanuts or cashews split (use as needed)
- Pinch asafoetida or hing
- 1 green chili slit
- 1 red chilli broken
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 lemon Medium to large (use as needed)
Method (Little Millet Lemon Rice)
- Add ½ cup of little millets to a pot and wash thoroughly. Drain completely. Add 1 ½ cups water, salt as needed to the pot and allow to soak for a while. You can also skip soaking.
- Cook them on a medium flame until all the water is absorbed, but slightly soggy. Cover the pot and simmer on the lowest heat until completely cooked. Fluff gently with a fork and cool completely.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard when they begin to splutter, add chana dal, urad dal, cashews and red chili, green chili.
- When the dals turn slightly golden, add curry leaves, ginger and green chili.
- Curry leaves turn crisp very soon, then turn off the stove and add turmeric and hing.
- Add the cooled millets and squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Mix everything well. Serve lemon millet rice with curd, veg sald, papad or pickle.
Also in Manna Millets Pack of 5 (Kodo, Proso, Little, Foxtail & Barnyand)