Barnyard millet or Kuthiraivali (Tamil) or Samvet Ki Chaval (Hindi) grow in tropical countries and are mostly starchy in nature. The grains are small, round and whitish. The fact that they are rich in fibre and gluten-free makes them a much-preferred food by diet conscious folk. Barnyard millets can be added in the place of rice in many rice recipes. They are a healthy alternative to rice.
Barnyard millet becomes sticky when cooked and hence suitable for preparing a variety of snacks. We are posting this Barnyard millet recipe after popular demand from Manna health product users to know more about cooking the newly launched millet range of products. Here’s a millet recipe that would make your kids ask for more.
Ingredients for Barnyard Millet Recipe:
- Barnyard millet- ½ cup
- Onion Chopped – ½ cup
- Carrot chopped – ½ cup
- Green peas – ¼ cup
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – ¼ tsp
- Chat masala – ¼ tsp
- Garam masala – a generous pinch
- Oil – as needed
1) Wash thoroughly and soak barnyard millet for 15 minutes.
2) In a pan, heat oil. Temper with mustard seeds when the oil is hot but not smoky. After the seeds splutter, add chopped onions and then carrot and peas. Add 1 cup of water and add salt. Now add the soaked millet. Cover and cook in a low flame till the water drains completely and the veggies get completely cooked. Let this be dry and not watery. If you feel it is watery, cook for some more time till it becomes dry.
3) Add the red chili powder, garam masala, cumin powder, coriander leaves, and salt and chat masala. Mix thoroughly.
4) Make it into equal sized balls. Flatten these into tikkis. Coat these tikkis with breadcrumbs (optional)
5)Shallow fry these tikkis in a dosa pan and make sure oil is spread evenly to each and every tikki.
6) Cook in medium flame on both sides till both sides become golden brown.
7) Serve barnyard millet tikki with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
A perfect evening snack, the Branyard millet tikki can be prepared in less than 30 minutes time. Start introducing millets in your everyday routine and have a healthy and beautiful life.