India is a land of millets. Millets are wonder grains which are rich in fibre, calcium and iron. Regular intake of Barnyard millet/ Kudiraivali/ odalu can reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases. With people becoming health conscious, awareness towards consumption of Millets (sirudhanyam) has increased. But not many are aware of the various healthy millet recipes that can treat your tastebuds. Here is a healthy millet recipe that will be a treat for both the kids and the elders in the family.
You can buy these millets at www.mannahealthstore.com
1) Dry roast the moong dal separately till it changes to a slight golden colour
2) Wash the barnyard millet and moong dal separately and pressure-cook them with 2 cups of water. Cook up to 3 whistles and switch off the stove.
3) Heat water and add grated jaggery to it. Once the jaggery is dissolved in water, filter it to remove impurities
4) To make jaggery syrup, heat ghee in a pan and add the jaggery liquid.
5) Add the jaggery syrup and cardamom powder to the cooked millet and simmer in the pressure cooker for 10 min till a nice aroma emanates.
6) Heat ghee in a pan and fry cashew nut, dried grapes till golden colour. The grapes get puffed up. Add this mixture to the pongal and mix till all the ingredients blend well. Keep the stove in low flame.
Your delicious sweet pongal is ready in no time. The Pongal is comforting, delicious and filling. Do you have more recipes to share, Please do so in the comments below.