Ven Pongal is a healthy South Indian Dish which is preferably had for breakfast. The pongal is a preparation of rice and lentils. We will now make the recipe even more healthier by replacing rice with pani varagu. Pani Varagu or proso millet is white in colour and hence your pongal will look amazingly white.
This millet recipe is recommended for everyone in the family for a healthier lifestyle.
Ingredients for Proso Millet pongal:
- Proso millet/ Panivaragu – 1 Cup
- Moong dal – ½ Cup
- Ghee – 1 Tbsp
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Whole peppercorns – 2 tsp
- Hing – ½ Tsp
- Ginger, finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – Few
- Water – 3 Cup
- Salt – To taste
Millet recipe – Method:
- Soak the millet and moong dal together for 20 minutes.
- Heat pressure pan, add ghee and oil; add cumin seeds, peppercorns, and hing and wait till sputter.
- Add ginger and curry leaves and sauté it.
- Wash and drain the millet and moong dal. Add them to the mixture and sauté it for one minute.
- Put them in a pressure cooker and cook for up to 3-4 whistles and switch off the flame.
- Now open the lid, and mix it well.
- Garnish with fried cashewnets
Amazing proso millet is ready to be served with chutney and sambhar.